I’m 28 years old today.
Last year on my birthday, I shared with you, 27 Life Lessons I Learned by the Age of 27. This year, on my 28th birthday, I present to you, 28 Life Lessons from 28 People. I hope you makes you smile and laugh like it did me.
Many many thanks to my sweet friends who took time out of their schedules to record their tokens of wisdom. I had more than 28 submissions, so thank you to Kym, Davey, Valerie, Will, Rogue, and Thomas for their contributions. They’re not in the video but may have inspired me to make a sequel soon.
P.S. Even after Alan and I proofed the video a dozen times, the subtitle for the Chinese at 3:53 was tagged on the wrong person. Deepest apologies for the confusion.
If you cannot view the video, you can find transcription and credits below.
- Always have a can of Raid handy. – Naz
- My bit of advice: Take care of your feet. – Mef
- It’s okay to act like a kid. Wee wee wee! – Alyssa
- A healthy person works out 3 times a week. – Tony
- Learn to cook or find someone who does. – Suki (Twitter)
- So going forward in your life, it’s very crucial that you listen to yourself and don’t give two craps about what other people think about you. Do your thing and do it for why you do it. And enjoy it. – Treavor (Twitter) (Youtube)
- You should listen to both sides of a story. – Ali
- By Robert Frost: In three words I can sum up life: it goes on. – Abby
- You know when you’ve done something excellent. Don’t ever let anybody else take you down a peg and tell you that what you’ve done is substandard. – Nic (Twitter) (Youtube)
- To quote Maya Angelou, when someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time. (Not the 39th time) – Kim
- The saying is, “Ignorance is bliss.” I don’t think ignorance is bliss. Holding the truth to make them happy, can only make you unhappy in the end. – Adam (Twitter)
- Everything looks and feels better after a good night of sleep. So sleep, dammnit. – Nicole (Twitter)
- Never skip out on breakfast. It helps increase your energy level and metabolism. – Alan
- Enjoy your day. Take time out and enjoy your day. You’re going to have bad days, don’t get me wrong. I have bad days, I mean, this hair for one. But if you try not to worry about the little things and just go into today and have the BEST day you can possibly have, I think your life is going to ultimately be that much better. – Ian (Youtube)
- My momma always says the only thing that matters is people. – Andrew
- One life changing lesson I recently learned, is acceptance. When I started to accept that every person, thing, and situation is exactly the way it’s supposed to be at this moment, I was able to let go of my tight grip of the world and become a happier person. – Brandi
- If you’re on a flight of stairs, keep your hands out of your pockets. If you’re clumsy like me, you’ll end up in the ER with 6 stitches. – Cindy (Twitter)
- Anything worth doing, is worth doing poorly. For example, I can’t sing, but I do it anyway. – Michael
- The only thing that you can control is your training; you have no control over your opponent. – Deesh
- The one thing my parents have always taught me, was balance. Balance yourself physically, mentally, and spirtually. -Thinh
- If you have to take a poo and a shower. Make sure you poo before you shower. – Sae
- If I were to give you some advice, I would say that if you ever plan on picking your nose, try not to pick your nose after eating some Flaming Hot Cheetos. – Willis
- Never talk while you’re eating because that’s just rude. – Jason
- Chocolate is always the answer. – Monica
- Don’t be afraid to satisfy your sweet tooth. – Karen
- Don’t be afraid to ask for help. – Elisa
- (Translated) Learn a foreign language – Bing
- The best way to make sure you have a great day is make sure your day has 4 elements: Novelty, Beauty, Growth, and Love. If you get those four things every day, you’ll probably have a good time. – Neville