This week was unrelenting with terrible news. I’m hoping you find some peace in the company of your loved ones. I’m looking forward to seeing my family in Houston, with pup in tow. I will keep Martin Luther King’s words close. “Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that.”
Here are this week’s links that made me feel things.
- Alton Sterling and When Black Lives Stopped Mattering.
- 6 Pillars of the Wholehearted Life.
- Creativity is breathing.
- I didn’t know Ryan Reynolds is funny.
- 2016 National Geographic Travel Photography winners.
- I’m almost done with Season 2 of Orange is the New Black. I hear Season 4 is amazing and heartbreaking. Here are some OINB facts.
- I am so behind in my reading but had two 8 hour car rides where Sugarface drove. I finished three books! I thought A Tale for the Time Being was a great read though a bit dark. I enjoyed The End of a Story but I don’t think I’d recommend it to just anyone. It’s a slow read with no real plot. I read M Train because my friend Ashley said Patti Smith wrote about the show The Killing extensively.
- Can’t wait to read this book. A new one from one of favorite contemporary philosopher, Alain de Botton.
- I like that my friends send me Alain de Botton links. I enjoyed this podcast episode where he talks about relationships and sex. Thanks Treavor for the link!
“It’s a weird thing that some of our worst behavior in relationships is driven by some touching things… But of course we look so revolting that the other person is not in the position [to be sympathetic].”
- Here are Pete Souza’s favorite photos of Obama. I loved all the ones with kids.
- Last week I shared some of my favorite photos from a shoot with my friend Treavor.
- I wrote a love letter to Texas on my food blog.
- On the latest episode of I Feel Better, we talk about Bring it On, share our weekly recommendations and discuss what kind of rules we grew up with regarding pop culture consumption.