It’s that time of year again! I share with you my personal recap of 2010. This year was much better than 2009 (which was much worse than my 2008). It was a year of recovery and regaining balance. I feel very fondly of 2010 but I’m ready to embrace 2011. Bring it!
Note: All links open in a new window.
- Rung in the new year with Alan, Jen, and friends.
- Started a book club.
- I finally organized my books.
- An old high school and college classmate randomly invited me to Gourdough’s. I’ve since had 13 of their donuts.
- Made a cooking video with my mom. Significant because it’s the most popular youtube video I’ve posted with over 10,000 views.
Celebrating New Year’s Eve
- Will came to visit from Dallas.
- Launched a separate food blog.
- Sent out Valentine cards and socks.
- Had a Valentine’s Date with Alan at Joe DiMaggio’s and received beautiful flowers from Cindy and a lovingly abusive voice mail from Jon.
- Progressive meal in Houston that took us to three restaurants for one meal.
- Organized a trip to San Antonio to eat a 42 inch pizza.
- Spotted a car hoarder. This blog entry got a lot of Austin search hits.
- First real book club meeting. Discussed The Shack.
- Despite all of the above, it was still a tough month.
- Watched An Education by myself.
- Had a crawfish broil.
- Went to Austin’s first annual Bacon Takedown!
- Participated in a food blogger’s workshop, called TechMunch during SXSW.
- Celebrated two years with Alan.
- Saw Anthony Bourdain speak!!!
- Went to Houston for my daddy’s birthday.
- I piped my first cake (disaster) and saw the famed albino squirrel at the University of Texas.
- Posted my first video blog.
- Made my first lasagna.
- Learned to be more careful. More specifically, not to roam gas stations at night.
- Treated Alan and myself to a date with Conan.
- I ate a double down.
- Austin Wine Festival with Brittany.
The back of Conan
it would probably boast
it invented romance.
– Bern Williams
- Went canoeing for the first time.
- Moved out of my 2 bedroom apartment which I shared with Brandi and into a 1 bedroom by my lonesome. Meanwhile, Brandi moved to Dallas for culinary school.
- Started a weekly writing exercise with my best friend.
- Celebrated Brittany’s birthday at a bingo hall.
- I ran into the same cat, dog, and mouse that I had previously first seen in San Francisco the year prior.
- Saw Anthony Bourdain speak for the second time this year. Also had the pleasure of meeting him. And touching his tricep.
- Celebrated Fourth of July poolside and downtown.
- Seriously started to write letters and my pen pals actually wrote back.
- Hosted a girls’ weekend. Alex and Hillary drove in from Houston and San Angelo and we ate, drank, and were merry.
- Celebrated my 27th birthday with two celebrations. An one-on-one date at a fabulous new sushi restaurant and then a group birthday with a handful of friends.
- Jon who flew down and was able to make it to my birthday dinner, was in town an extra day and we spent all day eating, drinking, and being merry.
Jon and Me at my Birthday Dinner
- Participated in VEDA and met some wonderful people.
- I vlogged my scoliosis scar which was a difficult feat for me.
- I had my heart broken by someone dear to me.
- Participated in an attempt to set a world record of most amount of people icing cupcakes at one time.
- Finished my 21st book of 2010 : A Man Without a Country. One of my favorites.
- Went to Houston to celebrate Aishah’s 27th birthday.
Aishah’s 27th Birthday
- Alan took me to see Joe Rogan!
- Went to the wedding of Alan’s childhood friends.
- Finished Reading Cook’s Tour by Antony Bourdain. My 28th book of 2010.
- Made Bucatini All’ Amatriciana , my favorite recipe of the year.
Me & Joe Rogan
- I planned and organized a regional conference for work.
- My dude turned 26! We celebrated for over a week.
- Tried my first absinthe.
- My half sister whom I haven’t seen in over ten years found me on Facebook.
- Dressed up as a cop for Halloween.
- Auditioned for a travel reality TV show after receiving an email from a casting director. I took Neville as possible partner and he totally outshone me.
- A close friend’s brother died unexpectedly. Being with her has been a top priority whenever I’m in Houston. I’ve grown deeper in love for and with her.
- Tried out Breakfast Klub, a culinary highlight in 2010.
- Went to Austin’s first trailer park food festival.
- I posted a blog post every day in November as part of Nablopomo.
- Walked Race for the Cure with Brittany and raised over 500 dollars for breast cancer research.
- Saw Louis C.K. thanks to lovely boyfriend.
- Saw old friends in Houston over Thanksgiving.
- I listed 100 things I am thankful for.
- Sent out Thanksgiving Day cards
- Joined the Sketchbook Project.
Brittany & Me at Race for the Cure
- Participated in Reverb10.
- Road trip to Oklahoma! Why Oklahoma? To cross off another state.
- Attended annual Christmas Party for Big Brothers and Big Sisters of America with my little and her cousin. This is our third year in attendance!
- Had hot pot on Christmas day twice. Lunch with Mary Ellen and her mom and her brother, and dinner with my own family. I did exactly this last year for Christmas!
- Tomorrow’s plan is to party on a rooftop downtown in celebration of a new and fresh year. A stretch Hummer may have been rented.
Annual Christmas Party with my Little
That was my year! I’m happy to have shared it with you and have your support, comments, and readership. It means an awful lot to me. Thank you!